||In the recent years, due to the rapid advance of internet technology and its characteristics such as boundary-less, low cost, high-speed, and two-way communication, the airline companies have created websites and employed internet as a marketing tool to sell tickets directly to end-customers via the airline websites. This trend is gradually replacing the traditional technique such as selling the tickets via travel agencies. |
There are two major advantages of selling tickets via the airline websites. First, it could reduce the commission fee paid to the intermediary effectively; secondly, due to the utilization of electronic ticketing system, the airline companies could further reduce its overall operating cost by 10%. Thus, increasing number of firms, including the six major airline companies in Taiwan, in the airline industry are switching the ticket-selling channel to online-selling. However, it is uncertain whether the functional service provided by the airline companies in Taiwan meets the needs and expectation of the customers. Therefore, the survey developed in this research aims to confer three aspects of existing service of the major Taiwanese airline companies; these three aspects include: the service quality of the online ticketing system, customer satisfaction, and behavior intention. Furthermore, the research takes a step further to discuss the relationship between these three aspects and whether acknowledgement-differences occur between customer attribute and customer spending-behavior toward these three aspects.
The findings of this research are as follows:
1. The five major factors that constitute service quality are positively related with customer satisfaction. Among the five, “service convenience” has the greatest effect on customer satisfaction.
2. The five major factors that constitute service quality are highly and positively related with the “customer loyalty” factor under the behavior intention aspect.
3. Customer Satisfaction is highly and positively related with the “customer loyalty” factor under the behavior intention aspect; but it is unrelated with “pay more” and “switching and complaint”.
4. The two Taiwanese airlines, China Airline and Eva Airline, which serves international route on a regular basis, outperforms the other four national airline companies （Trains Asia Airways、Far Eastern Air Transport、Mandarin Airlines、Uni Air）on “service tangibility” and “service customization.”
5. The major customer for purchasing air tickets online is characterized by: younger age (21~35), high education, male and heavy internet user.
Keywords: Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction, Behavior Intention,Online-Ticketing, Electronic-Ticket, Airline Companies